Seek and you will find

Monday, December 19, 2011

Pa-wum pum pum pum

You may have noticed the color changes to my blog. This is a result of too much free time combined with a spark of creativity one afternoon. I don't know if I like it... expect to see it change a lot. If you don't like change... I can't help you. Now back to your regularly scheduled content:

My little brother was adorable when he was a little boy. He had little chubby legs and little chubby arms and did everything I told him to - who couldn't love that?

Please, no more pictures. You're embarrassing me.

He also couldn't say his Rs until he was about 8 years old. It was the cutest thing you ever heard. He called me Kwisten for years. This was made even cuter by the fact that his last name is Flerl - or, in Steven's words, Fwuh. When he was in kindergarten, he was given a solo in our church's Christmas play - The Little Drummer Boy. I promise you have never seen anything as cute as my baby brother, walking down the aisle with a plastic drum and singing "Shawuh I pway fuh you, pa-wum-pum-pum-pum, me and my dwum." I still think of him when I hear that song on the radio. Usually I text him. He usually ignores me, but I know he's just embarrassed at his talent.

Seriously, stop texting me every time you hear that song.

So the other day when I heard the song come on, I thought, "YAY - I can text Steven I can sing along!" I was enjoying listening to the drummer boy's tale when suddenly, out of nowhere - it became a rock song. Whaaaaaaa? What is the electric guitar doing in the middle of the drummer boy's song? Did I switch stations by accident? WHO AUTHORIZED THIS? But 104.7 either didn't hear my cries or didn't care, so I was forced to listen to the fake little drummer boy sing his song. Woe.

I have since heard three different versions of The Little Drummer Boy. None of them are as good as the original. I've also heard Silent Night, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, and Joy to the World - none of them close to the original. I'm no musician, but I'm just going to put something out there: You can't. improve. a Christmas carol. You can't. It is a Christmas carol. It is by definition already awesome. There is no need for the electric guitar, the crazy drum beat, the sudden key changes (I am talking to YOU, Mac Powell) - it's already good.

I probably sound like an old lady right now, but seeing as I am almost 25 I've decided to take my old-lady stand. Leave the Christmas carols alone. 

If you want to improve something, how about figuring out how to get rid of that girl who announces each and every song after it's played. You're bopping along, thinking about the great song you just heard, when suddenly you hear "Casting Crowns - While You Were Sleeping." Thanks, Voice on 104.7. Is this really what you wanted to be when you grew up? The Voice on the Fish who states the obvious? If that was indeed your goal, then congratulations. If not, stop interrupting Christmas music to inform me that I am listening to Christmas music.

Ahem. So. My brother couldn't say his Rs. The next time you hear The Little Drummer Boy (the REAL version), be sure to sing it the right way: Pa-wum-pum-pum-pum.

No comments:

Post a Comment