Seek and you will find

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Beauty and the Beast

I love this movie. Love, love, love. Belle was always my favorite Disney princess because she has brown hair and loves to read - just like me!!

The resemblance is uncanny, no?
I love this movie so much that tonight I went to go see it in 3-D!! It was fabulous. We looked really good in our glasses. Especially me because I was wearing my 3-D glasses over my regular glasses.

Daniel, who graciously agreed to see the movie with me, was understandably less thrilled than BFF Jen and I were about seeing a princess movie, and started his own running commentary throughout the movie. I noticed a pattern - he was going through all the plot holes of the movie, including but not limited to:

1) Why didn't Maurice just turn around when he knew he'd missed the turn?
2) How did Philippe get the Beast on his back and haul him all the way to the castle after the wolves attacked him? And what trauma did the Beast endure to make him fall unconscious... if a 90-pound woman can stomach it, so can he.
3) If the last petal falls on the Beast's 21st birthday, and they say in the song they've been waiting 10 years for the spell to be broken, this makes the Beast 11 when the spell was cast. But the painting of him is of a grown-up Beast. Daniel spent half the movie trying to figure this out. He came up with a few plausible solutions if you're interested.

I have heard these from other people as well, all wanting to know what Disney could have been thinking to leave out such obvious details. (Daniel gets a pass because he is a guy and I'm guessing this wasn't his favorite flick growing up. And because I think he's cute.) And while I am no stranger to the movie mockery... come on. Come on. Let's take a step back here for a minute. 

This is a movie about talking dishes and candlesticks and wardrobes. This is a movie where the cups not only talk to you, but offer sage life advice as well. Where an entire town is stalking one poor girl, waiting to see what book she will read next. Where no one is at all surprised at the revelation of a magic mirror and are totally on board with footrests that bark. And the biggest issue is that they might have gotten the Beast's age wrong? 

At best, this movie is a wonderful classic, full of happiness and true love and fabulous music. At worst, we are witnessing the effects of Belle dropping acid in order to get away from all the stresses of this provincial life. That would certainly explain the dancing spoons.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Focus on the awesomeness instead.

Also, the Beast's name? Adam, according to Disney. You're welcome. 



1 comment: