Seek and you will find

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I don't really "know" what to "think" of "this."

I keep noticing an odd pattern. These guys: "" are everywhere. It makes sense in some situations. But then I was leaving O'Charleys the other day, and I noticed a sign that said, in quotes, "It was a pleasure to serve you."

Maybe this is just me, but when I see the quotation marks, I always associate it with something not being real. Like if you say you're going to the store, but you really mean you're going to the local crack house in an attempt to get funds for groceries, you could say you're going to the "store," and everyone would laugh as your air quotes conveyed your sarcasm. Good times.

So when I see stuff like "It was a pleasure to serve you," I feel like it should actually say "Our boss said we had to tell you that it was a pleasure to serve you." Or at the gas station when the screen says "cold drinks," I immediately think of two guys snickering as they pour gasoline into a cup and stick in in the fridge, just waiting for you to buy it.

Maybe I just don't get it. Maybe I'm like Joey, forever destined to misunderstand the power of quotation marks.

But am I alone? Do any of you fully understand? Help me, Obi-wan Kenobi. 



1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about the O Charley's sign. It makes it sound fake that they put it in quotes. It's a sign; they aren't quoting someone!

    P.S. I loooooove Friends!:)

    ReplyDelete