Seek and you will find

Saturday, May 19, 2012

1979

Have you ever seen the "new" Brady Bunch movies, the ones that make fun of the show? They're fabulous and you should totally watch them. One of my favorite parts is that even though the movie is set in present day (or the 90s; same difference), the Bradys are still living in the 70s - same clothes, same home decor, same phrases. And I can relate, because while the rest of the world was living in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s, my family and I were living in 1979.

See, my parents met in the 70s, got engaged in the 70s, and just liked the 70s so much they never left. It was more common to hear the Beatles playing in my house than the Black-Eyed Peas. I didn't even know who Fergie was until she had already rejoined the Black-Eyed Peas. And if you have no idea who I am talking about, don't try to find out - your brain cells are way too valuable to waste them on this.

ANYway, I didn't think much of this until I got to college and had virtually no idea who or what anyone was talking to when it came to music. I've never been a music fanatic or anything (don't tell my dad) so at first I thought I was just a little behind. But when I was literally the only person on my dorm room hallway who had no idea if The Real Housewives of Orange County was the same thing as Desperate Housewives, I realized I had missed more than I thought.

Looking back on it, it all makes sense. My parents raised us on their favorite music and shows - subsequently, I've seen every episode of Happy Days but have still never watched a full season of The Bachelor. And it was so much fun that I just never left my happy little hamlet of grooviness and loving each other, man. This is why I get along with all adults but can't have more than a 6-word conversation with people my own age. This is why Daniel, a self-admitted old man trapped in a young man's body, is perfect for me. And this is why, when in a conversation that I know nothing about, I have developed what I call the Nod And Smile - it appears that I am just as excited as you are about Snooki but inside I am wondering what season of The Waltons is playing on Hallmark this week.

This week on the Waltons: A problem arises that turns out to not be that big of a deal. Stay  tuned. 


But I'm okay with living in the 70s. It was a pretty far-out time, and gas was a lot cheaper. So if you ever have any questions about Journey, Little House on the Prairie, or the war, just give me a call - I do, at least, have a cell phone.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg56gRJwZOc

1 comment:

  1. Haha that's awesome! There is a lot of trash on TV these days...

    ReplyDelete