Seek and you will find

Thursday, August 2, 2012

An Open Letter to NBC - 11Alive

Dear 11Alive News, 

I don't always watch the Olympic Games. The last time the summer games were on, I was still in school and only caught the radio highlights about some swimmer named Phelps. Never really heard what happened to him. Kidding. Only the dead and/or extremely inebriated wouldn't know what happened to Michael Phelps. But I digress.

This time around, it was different. I was married. (Still am... just wanted to clarify.) And that meant that I had to accommodate my Olympic-loving husband, who turned on the TV every night promptly at 7:00p to see what medals would be won today. And I found myself getting sucked in. The swimming! The diving! The GYMNASTICS! Oh, the gymnastics. How I love them so.

So you can imagine my disappointment when I went to my sister-in-law's house to watch her recording of the gymnastic finals and before the competition even aired, you had a commercial showing a member of the <OMITTED TO PROTECT THOSE WHO ARE WAITING TO FIND OUT> team holding a gold medal and smiling. 

What. the. heck. Why would you do that? Why? I ASKED YOU A QUESTION, NBC (In fact, I asked you this question on your Facebook page, but my post mysteriously disappeared...). Do you hate us? Have your viewers wronged you in some fashion, causing you to put together an evil plan in which you systematically ruin each sport just before it airs? 

I don't know if you're aware, but the majority of us work. Those who aren't at an office all day are raising children, educating themselves, making a coaster because they love arts and crafts but don't feel comfortable trying something too complicated, and besides, who doesn't love a coaster? and do not have access to your coverage during the day. So we come home, we turn on the TV, we watch your stupid "We are alive here" commercials and just when we have finished popping the popcorn and preparing for the stress of watching grown men dance on a springy mat, you tell us who won. You suck, 11Alive. 

And maybe consider showing some teams besides the US once in a while. I am as patriotic as anyone but I would like to at least catch a glimpse of other countries every couple of hours. Were any other countries even in the Olympics this year? We may never know.

Also, I was unfortunate enough to catch some of the "Anchors Gone Wild" segment this morning. Are you freaking kidding me with this? You think people don't hate us enough without watching American anchors run around England, acting like you have been given a day pass from the mental institution and/or escaped while the Queen is forced to ride with you on the double-decker buses, admirably restraining herself from slapping you every time you say "IT'S A BUS WITH TWO LAYERS!!!!!!"?? If this is the future of news, I am frightened. 

So quit it. I'll give you until the end of the week. Then I'm coming down there. Oh, and I have a suggestion for covering the next summer Olympics: Don't cover the next summer Olympics. 

Sincerely, 

Kristen 

P.S. The peacock logo is stupid. Change it. 

"NBC: Coverage before you even know you want it."



1 comment: